Tuesday, August 19, 2008
These went over really well with my husband. Spices are very flexible, the first time I only used these spices but the second time I put in some chili powder and onion powder.
2-4 small cucumbers or 4-8 pickling cucumbers (depends on size of jar and cucumbers)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried dill or 1 teaspoon fresh chopped dill
8-16 whole black peppercorns
1. Sliced cucumbers in any fashion you use and place into jar. If your jar is big enough and your cucumbers are small enough, put them in whole.
2. Mix together the water, sugar and vinegar in either a pot or a microwave-safe container.
3. Heat on stove or in microwave until the mixture is hot and the sugar is completely dissolved.
4. Pour spices over the cucumbers.
5. Pour the sugar-water-vinegar mixture over the cucumbers until it reaches the bottom of the jar's neck.
6. Cap jar and invert several times to distribute the spices.
7. Place into refrigerate and wait at least one day before eating.