Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Butternut Squash Soup (egg-free, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free)
I love all sorts of squashes, but especially butternut squash. I've looked at a number of butternut squash soup recipes on Recipezaar and taken the best elements of the ones I saw to create this soup. Top with crunchy croutons, sweet potato chips, rum or any topping you feel like.
Butternut Squash Soup
1/2 - 1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 small butternut squashes
6 cups water
salt and black pepper
1. Slice the butternut squashes in half. Place face down in microwave safe dish containing about 1 inch of water. Microwave on high for about 8 minutes.
2. Let the squash cool. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Scoop the softened squash out of the peel and set aside.
3. Saute the diced onion, garlic and red pepper for 5-10 minutes in vegetable oil.
4. Add the butternut squash and the water.
5. Add the seasonings to taste.
6. Cook for 30 minutes or until flavors are blended.
7. Puree with immersion blender OR let cool and them puree with food processor or blender.
8. Reheat before serving.