Monday, September 22, 2008
Quick and Easy Jambalaya (egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free)
I love meals that work when you're short on time. It's even easier if you happen to have some leftover rice at your disposal. Also, feel free to throw in more vegetable, leave out the hot dogs or any other ingredient, or change the seasonings. Jambalaya is a diish very good for experimentation.
1 1/2 - 2 cups rice, uncooked
1 onion, diced
1/2 -1 red pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
4 hot dogs, thinly sliced
1 15 oz can beans, drained (any type)
115 oz can diced tomatoes with liquid (I used petite diced tomatoes with hot peppers)
salt and pepper
1. Cook the rice and set aside.
2. Saute the onion and peppers in olive or vegetable oil for about 5 minutes on low.
3. Add the hot dogs and saute for 5 more minutes.
4. Add the can of beans and mix well.
5. Add the can of tomatoes and mix well.
6. Season to taste.
7. Slowly mix in the rice until all the liquid is absorbed.
8. Cook on low until everything is warm.
9. Taste and season again if necessary.