Thursday, October 2, 2008

Gluten free Challah ( Gluten Free, Nut Free, Dairy Free, Citrus Free)





1 cup warm water
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon honey (you can add extra if you want)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs
4 cups Oat Flour ( I ground up Bobs Red Mill gluten free oats and used them)
4 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
2 packets of yeast

1. Place warm water, sugar, honey, vegetable oil, salt, 2 eggs, flour and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough cycle; press Start.
After the machine is done, take the dough out, and place it on a very lightly floured board, punch the dough down, and let rest for 5 minutes.

2. Braid dough in loaves. I found it hard to braid without putting a little but of oil on my hands, so I did that. I also made them into Challah Rolls, much like buns. Let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours in a warm, draft free place. I put them in the warming drawer in my oven.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small bowl, beat together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush risen loaves with egg mixture. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes

No comments: