Sunday, November 9, 2008
Schwarma sole fillets, lightly curried jasmine rice and spicy sweet potato fries
So I'm blogging from Israel! They sell some really great spice mixes here, and I bought a schwarma packet to try out. I used it on sole fillets, but really you could use any white fish or chicken or meat. We have a great recipe for schwarma chicken right on this very blog! We've eaten out a few times but it's much cheaper to cook at home in the apartment we're staying at, plus it gives me a chance to explore the supermarkets and try new things. Look forward to new recipes soon and enjoy!
1. Place 6 small sole fillets in a well-oiled pan.
2. Sprinkle both sides with schwarma seasoning and a little bit of oil.
3. Slice onions on top of the fillets.
4. Grill/broil in oven until onions and edges of fillets crisp.
Curried jasmine rice
1. Boil 2 cups of water in a pot.
2. Add one cup of jasmine rice.
3. Add salt, black pepper and a small amount of curry powder (barely enough to color the water).
4. Simmer until the rice is light and fluffy.
5. Add a little more curry and some granulated garlic.
Spicy sweet potato fries
1. Slice one large or several small sweet potatoes.
2. Place in frying pan with oil over low to medium heat.
3. Season with spicy paprika or chili powder, granulated garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Saute until the sweet potato slices soften in the middle and brown on the outside.