Sunday, November 2, 2008
Vegan French Bread Rolls and Pumpkin Apple Butter
Vegan Easy French Bread
* 1 Tablespoon quick rise dry yeast
* 1 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)- you may need to add up to 2 to get the right texture with the gluten free flour- The dough should be very sticky and tacky.
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil/olive oil
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 3 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, oil, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until blended. Stir in enough water to form a sticky dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; return to bowl. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
3. Punch dough down. Roll into 12 small rolls, Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
4. Bake at 375 until the outside of the rolls get crispy, yet still soft on the inside.
* 1 can (15 ounces) 100% Pure Pumpkin
* 1 medium apple, peeled and grated ( I sliced it thinly with a vegetable peeler
* 1 cup Apple Juice
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon each of ginger, cinnamon, and cloves (this is very spiced- you can half the spices if you prefer)
COMBINE pumpkin, apple, Juicy Juice, sugar and pumpkin pie spice in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours. Serve with buttermilk biscuits, breads, corn muffins or hot cereal. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Recipe makes 3 cups.