Sunday, January 11, 2009

Broccoli soup

This soup is really healthy and cozy on a cold day. I recommend adding white beans to it for protein, I plan on trying that the next time I make it. Broccoli is really good for you, high in fiber and part of the Brassicae family of plants (like cabbage, cauliflower, etc). It has selenium, Vitamin C and Vitamin K. It's really a wonder food so get some more broccoli!

Broccoli soup

1 bag frozen chopped broccoli (I used a large bag)
1/2 large red onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 can corn niblets
1 packet soup mix + ~8 cups water or 8 cups broth (I used mushroom soup, but any type of broth would be delicious)
salt and pepper
chili powder

1. Cook the broccoli, onion and garlic in some vegetable oil until the broccoli softens. It should start to pull apart as you mix it.
2. Season heavily with salt and pepper. Add about 1/2 teaspoon on chili powder.
3. Add the soup mix and water or both. Bring to a boil.
4. Lower to a low boil and cook for 30+ minutes.

Delicious with some toasted bread or crackers.

4 comments:

HangryPants said...

I love broccoli soup! This reciope looks great, so much better than the creamy stuff you usually end up with at a restaurant.

FoodAllergyMom said...

This sounds like another one my teen would love, I'm so excited! Are you vegan? I can't believe how slow I am, I JUST realized that you don't have meat in any of your recipes! I focus so much on my little one with all of her food allergies that my poor vegetarian doesn't get the attention (or variety) that she deserves. I'm going to show her your site later and let her make a list of everything she might want to try. Thank you! :)

FoodAllergyMom said...

Wait, I have a question...what brand of soup mix do you use?

Sister Cooks said...

I've been using Knorr lately. I'm not a vegan but since I keep kosher, I keep meat and dairy separate and my soup pot is neither :) so all my soups lately have been meat-free and dairy-free. Glad I can help all the vegans out there!